A full day is a good day: #62 & 63 Geal Charn and A’Mharconaich

28 08 2016


The night before had me lodging at the Station Inn in Rothes. Too late to get anything booked in Dufftown where my meeting was, I had to look further afield. Further afield in this instance was no more than a ten minute drive. the Station Inn is a recently converted hotel in the middle of Rothes, and money has been spent. It’s intended clientele are the Whisky Trail brigade and passing business people, in that regard I suppose I fell into the later although my business the next day was Whisky related. The hotel stands out like a sore thumb in the sorry looking main street in Rothes. Without sounding too much like that dick from Homes under the Hammer, the owners have really gone to town on this place and created a top notch hotel in a dreary little town in Moray. Worth a visit if you’re in the area.

Next day was  design tam meeting at Wm Grant & Sons in Dufftown. They’re building a new Still House and Tun Room for Glenfiddich and my company is part of the design team. We are providing guidance on noise and ventilation issues for the new facility.

I knew that if things went plan and I got to Dalwhinnie for around 4;00ish I could blag a couple of munros to add to my tally. The day went well, I left in sufficient time, and arrived at Dalwhinnie with enough daylight hours to get a couple done.

I parked the land Rover at the side of the A9 and got changed out of the work clothes. I set off. A rather dull and uneventful bog trot ensued just shortly after the railway crossing. Very soon I was blowing out my arse, last nights whisky – a meagre two halfs – had announced itself. I sweated whisky ,it wasn’t nice. Very quickly, I arrived at the top of the first Munro, well nearly the top. Geal Charn.

Having taken enough time to snack and have a look around I headed down towards the bealach between the two. on the way down I noticed that the summit of another Munro Beinn Udlamain didn’t look too far off, and depending on how quickly I got onto the “ridge” leading to A’Mharconaich, I could nip over and not do Beinn Udlamain too. I headed on, hopeful of getting three rather than two.

As I started back up the slopes it was soon apparent that I was being unrealistic, time was going to be against me. And the events of the day, the previous night and tired legs left me wondering what kind of nick I’d be in if I did all three and got home at 11:00?. I headed toward A’Mharconaich and then home. I did both in 3.5 hours.


View from A’Mharconaich


I can see my car from here!


A dip in the burn, just before the midges stared……

I am doing this to raise funds for Finding Your Feet, my friends charity which helps amputees and people living with life changing situations. I am very proud to be a part of it. this is my just giving page, every penny is very gratefully received.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: